Saturday 17 January 2009

Bohemian Britain, Notes from an Outsider

The purpose of this blog is to catalogue and enumerate all the fragments and traces of Bohemian culture within the kingdoms of Britain. Before I go on, I should probably take up a little space explaining what I’m talking about when I talk about Bohemians or Bohemian culture because I’m using the terms very loosely and in ways that were never originally intended. Of couse, I realize that the term was never originally intended as a designation for anything other than the people living in the Czech lands of central Europe so I don’t feel too guilty hijacking them term for my own uses. By Bohemian, I don’t just mean artists, writers, musicians and other vagabonds who are living a life of voluntary (or involuntary) simplicity. I will be using it to refer to a whole range of subcultures and lifestyles that are outside of the mainstream although many of them wont be that far afield from the center ground. I will be seeking out places and areas that are artsy and hip, but I’ll be looking into most anything alternative, fringe, home grown, locally owned, new age, green, vegetarian, vegan, macrobiotic, organic, fairly traded, ethically sourced, shade grown, free range, and otherwise independent of the corporate hedgemony that has us besieged on all sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment